With all of the articles I posted last week, someone asked if I was going to post another recipe on Friday. He also noted that I didn’t post one last Friday and he was looking for something new and different for NFL Sunday.
Wow, not only did I forget and fail to post, but someone noticed it. So I’m sorry that I missed a week, but I’m glad to know people actually look for it!
I let him pick the meal, since he was kind enough to contact me and he said “anything with meat and beans”.
Well, sir, you got it! Time for Zoot’s Crockpot Ham(bone) and Beans.
- 1 Ham Bone ; Meaty, with other pieces of leftover ham.
- 1 lb Great Northern Beans ; Rinsed (Can be soaked, the night before)
- 1 Carrot ; Shredded or Diced (can use 2)
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 1 large Yellow Onion ; Chopped (Red onions can be used)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 6-8 cups Chicken Broth ; (Low Sodium. Can use water)
- 1 tablespoon Ground Black Pepper ; (Season to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
Pre-step: Many people soak their beans the night before.
1. Add onion and celery to crock pot.
2. Place (meaty, this is important) ham bone or hocks on top of onion and celery.
3. Pour rinsed beans around ham and sprinkle with pepper.
4. Add bay leaves and garlic.
5. Add chicken stock and stir to combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
6. When ham is tender (6-7 hours) Remove meat from bones (discarding fat and bones) and return meat to the pot. Stir to combine and break up ham pieces.
7. To thicken, smash some of the beans on the side of crock pot.
8. When done skim any fat off and discard bay leaves.
You can add a chopped green pepper to the mix. I just might, next time.
That’s it, baby! See you next Friday (I promise) with another meal!
Let me know how it all works out and if you tried/suggest any modifications.
There is no perfect meal and everyone has a great idea!
Let me know if there’s a recipe you’d like for any meal I’ve posted on social media.
…and don’t forget to subscribe to my page and share it with others!